Saturday 7 December 2013

Nelson Mandela: a man who changed the world?

I think it is safe to say that Nelson Mandela was one of the all time key individuals of history and will be forever. His quotes are repeated and applied, his example is followed by all and he has managed to create a more or less united South Africa.
South Africa has 10 other official names in different ethnic languages, which is just one demonstration of the extremely wide variety of ethnicities in the country. Of course, this has called racial unrest many a time, however, Mandela was the principal character who managed to smooth this range of races into one. 
I shan't go through telling you all of Mandela's history, from Robben Island to the ANC to his time as president of South Africa, as you could easily find it anywhere else online. Nevertheless, I will give you his key achievements from my perspective: 
Influenced so many to forgive black/white for what they had done to their family/friends/themselves
Brought the country in unison behind the Springboks (the rugby team) to go on and win the World Cup 
More recently, Mandela has had a huge effect in fighting HIV/AIDS, which his son died from and Mandela believed was another war to win. 
Although other key figures, such as Walter Sisulu, Oliver Tambo and John DeClerc played an important role in ending apartheid, Nelson Mandela influenced both of them and took the leading role in stopping these horrors. As he was able to forgive the whites, it enabled him to discuss and negotiate the end of apartheid with them; with DeClerc and Mandela "sharing" the presidency for a while. Moreover, this ensured that apartheid did not simply switch over, where the blacks would have taken revenge on the whites. 

Invictus
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
William Ernest Henley

This is the superb poem that is in the movie invictus that helped Mandela get through his years in prison. 

Facts about Nelson Mandela you may not have known:
  • the name 'Nelson' was given to him by his teacher, his original name was Rolihlahla
  • Mandela studied law at university and attended the best education available to black people at the time.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment